Learning Goals: Gross Motor, Phonological Awareness, Letter Recgonition, Letter-Sound Knowledge, Self-Regulation.
This activity was inspired during the Fall season when designing games with small gourds that were in the classroom.
- Using a permanent marker, write letters on a small pumpkin, squash, or any Fall gourds you have in your classroom.
- In small groups, show students how to play the game.
- Have students sit in a circle and gently toss the squash to another student. If tossing isn't a good option, then students can close their eyes and pass to the person beside them.
- Once a student catches the squash (or opens their eyes after accepting it), they need to locate what letter their thumb is on.
- Instruct the student to read the letter aloud and say a word that starts with that letter before throwing to the next student.
- Differentation: This game can be played with saying letter names, saying letter sounds, saying a word that starts with that letter, or all of the above!