Learning Goals: Measurment, Fine Motor Skills, One to One Correspondence, Comparison, Estimating
- Place out paper and learning links on tables. Feel free subsitute with another material for a non-standard unit as well.
- Take off your own shoe and model using a pencil to trace around your shoe on a piece of paper.
- Have students make a guess on many learning links wide and long your shoe is.
- Decide where would be the most accurate place to measure on your traced shoe and show students how to line up the first learning link to your pencil line.
- After you have measured the length and width, prompt students to use that information to make estimations about their own shoe.
- Encourage students to take off a shoe and test out their estimations by tracing their own!