Learning Goals: STEM, Inquiry, Design, Mutually-Directed Play
- The students were frequently involved in free play with blocks and toy cars.
- The educator extended this free play by introducing the concept of ramps.
- Next, the educator providing blocks, 3D shapes, and toys cars for students to create and test their ramps.
- The educator provided opportunities for students to incorporate academic expectations into their play by facilitation a knowledge building circle and by modeling the scientific method:
- Knowledge Building Circle: The educator invited the students to contribute their theory and hypothesis to the inquiry question: “Which 3D shapes would roll down the ramp the fastest?” during a class discussion.
- Scientific Method: The educator introduced the students to the scientific method by suggesting they test different 3D shapes to see which rolls down the ramp fastest. Students shared their observations.