Learning Goals: STEM, Scientific Process, Inquiry, Mutually-Directed Play
- During the winter, the students were curious about the ice they found on their playground. They started to ask several questions about ice including: How is ice made? Why does ice melt?
- In response, the educator then launched an inquiry about ice.
- First, the educator supported children’s exploration by setting out ice, string, salt/sand/sugar, and various containers for students to freely explore.
- Next, the educator led a knowledge building circle to discuss students’ observations from their free exploration as well as their ideas about why ice melts. The educator facilitated discussion by asking prompting questions.
- The educator also connected this inquiry with academic tasks, such as introducing standard and non-standard measurements to determine the size of ice pieces.
Type of Play