Learning Goals: STEM, Scientific Process, Inquiry, Mutually-Directed Play
- During the winter, prompt student curiousity about ice found on their playground or around school property. Ask several questions about ice including: How is ice made? Why does ice melt?
- Support children’s exploration by setting out ice, string, salt/sand/sugar, and various containers for students to freely explore.
- Lead a knowledge building circle to discuss students’ observations from their free exploration as well as their ideas about why ice melts.
- Facilitate discussion by asking prompting questions.
- Connect this inquiry with curriculum expectations, such as introducing standard and non-standard measurements to determine the size of ice pieces.