Guess and Balance
Learning Goals: Subitizing, Number Sense, Measurement, Comparision, Fine Motor
- Using small cubes (or any other smaller material), model to students how to grab a handful and place them on one end of a balance scale.
- Have students guess how many there are without counting.
- Slowly place cubes of the same size on the other side of balance scale and count out loud when you do so.
- When the scale balances out, it should represent your answer and you can see how close your guesses were!
- Students can complete this many times with a partner and take turns in placing the handful on the scale for the other to count.