Learning Goals: Literacy, Alphabet
Thank you to Sarah Kelly for this wonderful idea!
- Read students the book Chika Chika Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault.
- At the back of the book there is a letter addressed to the Kindergarten class that explains that some words have fallen out of the dictionary and they are recruiting Kindergarten detectives to use their AMAZING letter knowledge to find these words and return them to the dictionary.
- Students will be put in groups of 2-4 where they will be assigned a special letter and will work together with their team to find to pictures of things hidden around the classroom that correspond to their group letter, once they find a picture, they will document this word one their paper.
- To close the lesson students will gather on the carpet to show what words they found on their search and put them back into the dictionary.
- Provide students with a Letter assignment from the "Detective Agency", clipboards, and pencils.
- Encourage students to explore which pictures or objects begin with their assigned letter by sounding the word out, and writing it on their clipboard.