Learning Goals: Literacy, Reading, Writing, Mutually-Directed Play, Addition, Subtraction
- The educator introduced the students to the idea of creating a restaurant in their dramatic play centre.
- As a class, the educator and students discussed what they would find in a restaurant as well as brainstormed the features and materials needed to create their restaurant centre.
- Next, the educator used classroom resources and found materials for the students to create menus, signs, and money.
- With the support of the educator, the children took on various roles in the restaurant such as customers, servers, or chefs.
- The educator integrated literacy into the restaurant by supporting children in writing menus, signs, and receipts. To facilitate their writing, the educator helped children reference classroom resources, such as a word wall to identify common words, and the alphabet to help identify letter sounds.
- The educator integrated math learning by helping children to pay for thier meals and calculate change.